Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Thankful

So I remembered last night at almost 1:00 AM that I hadn't checked the mail for a few days. So I put on my boots and coat and walked out to the mailbox. It occurred to me, as I was walking through my complex in the middle of the night, how thankful I am to live in a neighborhood safe enough for me to do this.
I've lived in a lot of cities. My mom couldn't keep an apartment to save her life. We moved every year without fail, if not sooner. I can't tell you how many times I came home from school to see the bright yellow eviction notice on the door. Trust me, it's not fun. And being just a kid there wasn't a thing I could do about it either. I didn't understand at the time that my mom was just NOT CAPABLE of being an adult. She didn't care about anything or anyone but herself, even now at almost 53, she is still this way. But I digress...
The point is, I've lived in a lot of places, there have been places where I was scared to walk alone, EVER, let alone in the middle of the night. This is the only city that I've ever felt at home in, safe in. That's why it's the only city I'll buy a house in. I want my kids to have that same safe feeling every day. I never want them to step outside and have the urge to run back inside cause its safer.
I'm not saying this city is perfect, because I know it has its faults just like every city, but I love it here. Lucky for me, Tracy agrees! :)

0 comments: