Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Read it.... NOW



Thank you Erin Housley for insisting I pick up this book. I ordered it, and its sequel Catching Fire, from Amazon (ssshhhhh!!!!!) on her recommendation alone. I hadn't heard anything about the books, didn't know what they were about or anything. Luckily I am a huge reader and didn't hesitate to buy a new book.
I read the intro to the story and was intrigued but not dying to pick it up, so I finished the other book I was reading and then on Monday picked up The Hunger Games while I was waiting for dinner to bake. I was immediately sucked in and finished it last night and then started Catching Fire last night while dinner was baking. I finished that one today at work and I have to say I can not WAIT for August when the third and final book in the trilogy comes out~

While I'm on the subject of books, which I obviously love, I just want to say that I NEVER EVER EVER want a Kindle. EVER. They are brilliant inventions, I'm not denying that, but there is something so personal about a book! Does everyone remember this scene in Beauty and the Beast?

How much more dramatic would that scene be if he told her to open her eyes and all she saw was a bunch of empty shelves and a kindle? Yeah thats right. It would SUCK.

Maybe I'm being a little unreasonable here, but seriously. You want me to pay HOW MUCh for a book that I cant make notes in? That I cant mark up pages or dog ear corners? And what happens if I drop it in the bathtub huh? Goodbye money. What happens if I leave it in the car? Oh stolen. Yes I know its portable and yes I know you can take it anywhere. Two words... PAPER BACKS! Lightweight, portable and cheap!

I know its not like looking at a screen, its like ink and you can actually turn the page... guess what DON'T CARE! its not the same! Its cold and impersonal. My books have tons of history. I see the covers and I know exactly what the book is about, how many times I've read it, what chapters are dog eared for stopping, why the spine is bent and why one page is ripped. I know why the covers are missing from some, why whole sections have been glued back in. I know why I made notes in one, why I corrected sentences I think should be different in others.

I know which ones to read on rainy days, which ones to read before bed, which ones will make me cry. I know which ones I have lent to a friend, which ones a friend has lent me. I know which ones taught me lessons, which ones are just for fun, which ones make me laugh out loud.

My books, lame as this sounds, are my friends. They are always there. The library in Beauty and the Beast? That's my dream! Its ALWAYS been my dream. I've always wanted a room with shelves and shelves and shelves of book, comfy chairs, big windows a fire place. Maybe even a window seat.

Sorry Kindle lovers...Nothing will ever beat a REAL book in my eyes.

4 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I agree...like 312%...

Mark and Bethany said...

That's hilarious! I am dying for a Kindle!!! I want one so bad. I know they're not the real thing, I totally get that. I just think they're really cool and in the long run they're cheaper, books are a lot less to download onto it and I'm cheap. I love to read, but I hate buying books, so I use the library, but then I love to own my books so I figure it's a good way to go. Anyway, you're too funny!

JoyLyn said...

Yay! I'm glad you read the Hunger Games. I can't believe we have to wait until August! Are you team Peeta or Team Gale? I'm totally with Peeta! :) Next up you need to check out These is my Words - however I actually haven't even finished it yet, so if the ending is a huge disappointment I'll let you know. Oh, and I'm with you 100% on the kindle business.

Kellee said...

I'm totally Team Peeta!!! After everything he's done for her, I really hope they end up together! He's soooo freaking sweet!