Monday, February 4, 2008

Goodbye to my best friend...


Today I had to say goodbye to my very best and closest non human friend. My sweet Spooky cat died today when I was at work. He got sick over the weekend and I was planning a trip to the vet tomorrow but I guess someone in heaven needed him more than me right now.He was a gift from Tracy for our 2 year anniversary when we were dating. He was an awesome cat. So patient and loving. When he had to have his leg removed even the vet techs were in awe of his gentle personality. He'd just come up and sit in your lap and purr as loud as he could. He was so amazing with Kelcy. He loved to sleep in weird places, like behind the toilet or in the sink, but he loved to sleep right next to my head on the pillow. His favorite toys were the ones you could whip around really fast. It was so awesome to see him trying to catch it with paws. He lost some spunk when he lost his leg but that just made him sweeter. He was my Spooky baby and I'm really going to miss him. tracy is being awesome right now. Not minding when I spontaneously burst into tears and even agreeing to letting me cremate him and keep him in an urn. The guy at the pet crematorium was so understanding. When he returned my call he was like how are you doing today? and I was like I'm doing ok. and he goes yeah. You've been better right? and I started crying again and was like yeah. He knew just the right things to say, which I guess is good for him considering his business is cremating pets. They even have a private room for you to say goodbye to your pets in. He decribed it as a funeral home for people but "less creepy." I'm not looking forward to taking him in and saying that final goodbye but it makes me feel better that he'll be with me always. Sorry to those of you that think its creepy. If I had a house I'd bury him in the backyard. I was planning on doing that about 8 years from now when we had a house and I thought he'd die, but he went a lot sooner than I'd even expected.
I truly believe animals are a gift from God that are made to be treasured and loved and I loved and treasured Spooky. I can only hope that one day we'll meet again on the other side.

1 comments:

Jaci said...

I was so sad to hear that you lost Spooky!!! You know I'm not a big animal lover (don't get me wrong, they are wonderful, I just can't handle the responsibility right now, and I'm allergic to the dander...) there are few pets that I would let be by me, or sit on me, especially cats! Dogs I like a little bit more, however, for some reason Spooky was different. Maybe it was the leg :) but I did like that he would sit on the couch behind my head, or next to my leg and warm me up, or even on my lap. He was a very good cat!!! I know you will miss him dearly!