Thursday, November 15, 2007

Random Memory Wednesday

So since its the Holiday Season I decided my random memory for today (ok yesterday but madison is awake so what can you do right?) should be a Christmas one, more specifically a Santa memory. The Christmas when I was nine was an interesting one. My Great Aunt Iris was very sick so one night My Grandparents took me and my cousin Dayna over to visit and see how she was doing. It was only a week before Christmas and I remember it was very dark and very cold. When we pulled up in her driveway we could hear a helicopter. Now being that it was Christmas and my Grandparents wanted two nine year olds to behave while visiting a sick relative they told us that the helicopter was Santa checking up on us. Being the very mature nine year olds that we were, we naturally said we acted like we didnt believe them, when we were secretly bursting with joy that Santa, THE SANTA, was checking up on us! Of course we were on our best behavior as we stood there staring at that red helicopter. Who else but Santa would fly a red helicopter?? We must have stood there for a good five minutes watching that helicopter fly around and disappear behind bare tree branches. I never could figure out why we couldn't see it through the trees even though there were no leaves on the trees. We could see it on one side, and when it came out on the other, but we could never see it behind the trees. Naturally we assumed it was magic! Aunt Iris died that Christmas and I remember thinking that it was ok because Santa must have been checking up on her and knew that she was going to die so he did something special for her. That was the last Christmas my mom kept up the pretense of Santa. In fact on Christmas Eve when I accidentally busted them putting out presents, she didnt even pretend that Santa had just dropped them off. She actually asked me if she could return some because they needed money. I never did see what my daybed looked like, but I sure remember taking it back to RC Willey with them the next day. Ok thats actually two random memories.

P.S. Just for the record, I still believe in Santa. :D

2 comments:

Jaci said...

So sad!!! Some of your memories!
But I'm glad you still believe in Santa! :)

Juls said...

That is soo sad! But funny at the same time. Thinking of a 9 yr old now, they are so young, but looking back at your past, you can't help but laugh, right?