Monday, December 10, 2007

This is what I woke up to today...

At 7 AM this morning I get a text from my sister in law asking if we were ok. Now im a little confused by that because why wouldnt I be ok? SO i go yeah why? and she replies because theres a swat team at your apartment, its on the news. Well right now we dont have cable or an antenna so I jump online and find this..


A police standoff ended with the suspect's arrest this morning at a Midvale apartment complex.

A man police say has a violent criminal history was holed up inside an apartment near 7200 South and 300 West.

Officers and SWAT negotiated with the man and talked him into surrendering just before 8 a.m. They say he had barricaded himself inside a stranger's apartment following a traffic stop around 3 a.m.

Police say during that traffic stop, there was a scuffle and officers tased the man. He ran off, and police tracked him to the apartment.

The person living in the apartment was able to get out safely.

Robert Giles, who was evacuated because of the standoff, says SWAT officers woke him up. "I heard some pounding on my door, so I went to answer it. I looked up, and it was the SWAT team. They told me I had to get out," he said.

Police say the suspect was not armed.

They say they may know why he ran from police when they stopped his car. Sgt. Marcello Repelo said, "We did find some drug paraphernalia. We suspect that he was either in possession of some narcotics or something further, maybe a weapon or something."

The man faces charges of aggravated assault on a police officer and attempted kidnapping.

(thanks to KSL.COM for the story)

I couldnt see anything from my apartment windows but Tracy said he was way late to work this morning because there were Cops and Swat team members in our stairwell with battering rams and then the parking lot was all blocked off so he couldn't leave. I was talking to Tracy in gmail about it when he finally got there and I told him I thought I heard a gunshot. It was a flashbang that the Swat Team threw at the apartment trying to get the guy in there to come out or respond to their negotiations. They threw several and it was really loud. We didnt get evacuated but still this is NOT the kind of thing I want to wake up to ever ever again.

1 comments:

Juls said...

I wondered if that was your apartments or not. Thats crazy!! I was going to ask Jaci about it and then see if you were ok. Maybe its time to look for somewhere new.. lol, jk. That could happen anywhere. Im glad he didnt get in to yours!